Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Mission Statement

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams


The world-- the universe-- is vast and beautiful. That is one thing we all can understand. However, everything else tends to get a little complicated. 

Luckily, we have science to tease the secrets out of zircon-uranium bubbles or to manhandle sea urchins until the spit out the truth (and some gametes). Even then, despite our considerable cache of knowledge, most of us remain ignorant. I count myself among that majority. It is just that when I pick up a research paper, I need to also pick up a dictionary as a reading companion. The hard sciences are so littered with jargon that I often wonder if it is worth my time to read about  'The Effect of Salivary Stimulation of Calculus Accumulation in Gastronomy' (it wasn't). Thankfully, I know that there are people out there who are willing to translate this important gobbledygook into layman's terms for the rest of us who just want a peak of what's going on behind the curtain. 

I'm making a blog to catalogue my journey through a formal education in the hard sciences and to offer informal tidbits that I learn along the way. We never stop learning, so, perhaps, through this blog, we could teach each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment